The museum hires part-time student receptionists to greet the public during open hours, answer visitor questions, and operate the Museum’s bookstore.
Three and four-hour slots are available during the academic year as well as a full-time position during the summer.
Museum of Art Student Receptionist Job Description
Shifts of 3 or 4 hours (9:45 a.m.–1 p.m. and 1–5 p.m) Tuesday through Friday and 5 hours on Saturdays and Sundays (11:45–5 p.m.).
- Welcome and inform visitors about exhibitions;
- Sell catalogs, posters, and cards;
- Keep accounts of sales and records of visitors;
- Answer the telephone and take accurate messages;
- Do occasional office work as requested by staff;
- Read the Receptionist Notebook regularly in order to be knowledgeable about the Museum and current exhibitions
- Hang posters on and off campus as needed
- Be able to interact with the public in a friendly way;
- Attend several training sessions per semester;
- Be able to give a basic introductory tour of the Museum (will train);
- Have good telephone skills;
- Experience in a museum setting a plus, especially participation in the Museum Assistants Program (a volunteer tour guide program at this Museum).
Museum staff will train receptionists.
For more information, call Mikki Lane at (802) 443-2309.
To apply, please download the Application Form and download the Blank Schedule Form. Complete both forms and email them to Mikki Lane or send them through campus mail to: Mikki Lane, Coordinator of Events and Programs, Middlebury College Museum of Art, Mahaney Center for the Arts.